The Challenges of Parenting in the Digital Age
There was a time when the childhood lessons of ‘don’t talk to strangers,’ and the ‘golden rule’ was enough to keep kids safe. These lessons could be applied to more mature circumstances as the child aged and because kids learned them young, they were better equipped to make safe decisions when they got older. But times have changed. Technology happened.
By middle school, most kids have a cell phone and a window into a world of trouble. Born into a world surrounded in every possible way by technology, pre-teens and teens are inevitably drawn to their phones. The places they can go, the people they can meet—and yes, the dangers they can get into, all from the safety of their homes and schools are limitless.
That’s a lot of responsibility and sometimes it’s not that easy to make the right choice or understand potential consequences behind a screen, with abundant seemingly grey area to navigate. As parents and teachers, we are doing pre-teens a disservice to not prepare them for the complexities of life—particularly the complexities of making smart decisions online.
You Can Help
Savvy Cyber Kids’ CyberHERO Volunteer Program (for 3rd-5th graders) brings volunteers like you into schools (virtually or in person) to help young children learn about personal internet safety, bully response, technology balance, digital reputation and privacy. You will help the children learn how to remain safe and be empowered to make appropriate decisions when using the technology they love. As a Savvy Cyber Kids HERO Volunteer, you can help us reach more schools and teach children about how to stay safe online by leading school-based programs for upper elementary students.
- Reach out to your local schools and make them aware of SavvyCyberKids.org as a resource to strengthen their digital citizenship and cyber ethics programming
- Use the attached presentation slides and presenter’s guide to lead school-based programs.
- Please record your volunteer details on our GivePulse page: https://savvycyberkids.givepulse.com/
- Email us at email@example.com to let us know the school where you presented.
- Follow us on social media and share your volunteer experience: